Click HERE to view CAS list and hours.

Sports day 08'

11:12 AM / Posted by Adam Hanif /

Some people find that one particular day of each year would be a day of triumph and lost; win and defeat; exposed to aggressiveness and politeness or even a day off… that day off course, is Sport’s day!

Yes, unfortunately, our school does have its students who prefer not to precipitate during this day and others find it the only day they ever could for the entire year; not being a stereotype, I have my balance. Even with the sight of great shots that could be earn my ‘Service’ hours as photographer; I prefer that I contributed some effort to win something for myself and for my class.

I first signed up for 3 events out of the 5 maximum events given for each student which was, tug-of-war, Male Shot-put, 400m track run and 100m track run. In fact, I was pretty confident that I even gave myself a fourth event which was long jump, but that soon was given to my other classmate.

Although the Sport’s day started at 12.00 in the afternoon, most events were held later at 1.30 onwards at a local nearby stadium. And if it was one thing I hated about the day was the fact we had to hold the events in scorching afternoon heat—after a day of hard work at school. Traditionally, the day was supposed to be held on a day its own, but that was change for this year for unknown reason that I know of. All I remember was that with the combination of minor loss of energy at school and heat with lack of shade made the day really tiring.



The first event held was Tug-of-war. For the past year, my class has lost its title being from the first to last for this event. We usually blame on the fact that our ‘Anchor Man’ and other heavy students were lost in the transition from year 11 to IB. But really, we never lost… winning truthfully was not wining a medal or a trophy, but teamwork and dignity. And that’s what we did. We suck up our loss, like true winners, and kept ourselves full of pride until we break down at home.




The walk to the stadium was about a kilometre or a bit further from school; that was easy enough to do. But being under the sun the whole day was terror. The next event I applied for was the 400m run that one of my classmates gave me due to him being too dehydrated. Initially I did not want to do it, but I gave away my spot in the 100m event to Ranjeet, another classmate who never had the chance of signing up for an event. The trade left me with an ease of pressure as I myself was competitive and the 100m race competitors were not easy to beat. Luckily the 400m was my type of race, hence, winning second of the 6 students in it. It was the proudest moment of the day.



My next event was the Shot-put throw, which was the last event of the day. Annoyed that I had to wait, I had the time to practice throwing and even help or cheer for my other classmates in other events. I particularly enjoyed watching the High jump as it was the most competitive sport that day as well as people breaking school records.




Eventually I gotten tired as the day ended hence, giving me a third place in the shot-put. Overall, I really liked the events hosted up this year but hated the fact it was too short and was after an exhausting day of school. One event was cancelled was the rally race between students and teachers, of which I was also apart of, due to the length of the day. I wished it could be better by being longer or by bringing back its tradition by having it on a day its own; also, more shade would be nice too!