Click HERE to view CAS list and hours.

Swimming Gala event

7:15 AM / Posted by Adam Hanif /

Another early morning rise as I set off to the ‘Brunei’s National stadium’s swimming pool’ (or I think that’s what it was named) to participate in the School’s swimming gala event 2008.

I was quite pleased with the number of people who turned up because it has always been a student’s dream to take a day off from school and do something else; of which I think many used the opportunity to stay at home. But not me, I really wanted to take part in the swimming gala as it could be my last. So I signed up for 2 events, the 25m freestyle and the 25m relay.



Although I was up for two events, others preferred took five at most. I didn’t care much because they must be enthusiastic about the water more then I do to achieve something close to that. The year 12’s events were scheduled as one of the last events, so I had no choice but to wait. During the time, it was only when I realised that 3 of the male students out of my tutor class were taking part, including me, of the events. Noticing more then the two who were present at the scene, I gave them an earful (if that’s what you consider a comment; maybe less then 8 words) of which we should stick together as a team, and participate!


There is no way to convince against the stubborn nature of a grumpy and sick group, (“coincidently” all of them were “sick”) to take part.



I had no choice but to double up with one of my classmates and take on the 4 swimmers relay with 2 contenders, accounting both of us swimming 50m each. Why? Because I really did not want to degrade the name of Year 12I1!




Oh, did I mention I’m not a great swimmer at all? The point of taking part of the event was to see if I was able to face new competitive challenges of which dwelled over the years wanting too. But I wasn’t prepared to take on more then the selected events because I have my limits… and my limit is the number ‘25’. Not only was I upset that had to participate at such more events, and much disappointed at my classmates, I was about to challenge the other year 12’s best swimmers including the fact their doing 25m each. “No promblemo” was the motto of the day, sarcastically off course.




I had to take my head off something else, something that at least I enjoy until the race begins. During the long wait of the gala, I was summoned by one of the teachers to take photographs of everyone as much as I can. I was even named “Official School photographer” of the day. This was something I appreciated a lot to calm the nervous anticipation. Heck, I didn’t even notice that I was actually taking part until the last minute!




The photographs I took were gratifying, not that I’m trying to sell-out myself, but I was quite pleased how they turned out. Most of the photos are posted at the school’s archive but some of the photos are displayed here in my CAS journal for some presentation. Personally, I preferred taking photos that day as it was interesting photo experience; it’s not everyday you get an opportunity to take photos of athletes in the water during the tense of a race.


After some photo sessions and shots, I told myself it might be a little bit sensible to train before the race so I set out some laps. A few of my friends help out with the corrected movements to gain speed, but it was much too hopeless when the race was yet to come soon.

During the race Jeffery, my classmate, and I discussed how we should tackle the relay with 2 people. The plan was we each swim 50 m by dividing into alternating turns of 25m. So as Jeffery took the plunge to swim his first 25m, I would meet him on the other side and vice versa with me.

The plan worked perfectly accounting we came last. Not surprised, we raised our arms in cheer of losing anyway. But in the end, it wasn’t the result that counted, it was the effort and achievement made to do so. And it was that I was hoping to achieve this whole time. That and also, to test if I was ever a good swimmer. Swimming has always appealed to me more then a sport. More like leisure. After all, I do love beaches and snorkelling or scuba diving!