After weeks of training and work outs, weeks of preparing ourselves and a lot of effort, we managed to drag ourselves to the base of what we were about to achieve. At around 9.30 in the morning, on a clear Tuesday, we looked up the peak of the mountain as thought altogether, “Tomorrow, we will be on that thing’s summit.” Yea, most of us were still half asleep, so the appreciation wasn’t spent well. What can I say? We had to wake up at 5.30 to leave at 6.00 from the hotel at Kota Kinabalu city to catch probably the slowest bus up into the valley and across it to the mountain.
We were about the attempt the highest climb in the whole of South East Asia. That was one of the goals I was hoping to achieve. That, and also attempt the highest ‘High-Five’ in South East Asia. I was also aiming to succeed in just achieving what I was never familiar for. Just looking up the mountain’s summit that day bewildered my mind over the possibilities of climbing such height. It isn’t the moon, but sure hell is one step closer to it. Just the thought of being up there would be what heaven looks like.
This gave me the highest upon highest amount of excitement and anticipation until hearing upon the news of the weather forecast. According to the News channel the night before the arrival at Base Camp, it was announced that Kota Kinabalu would suffer severe showers for the next days to come. Upset, but never did bothered me until hearing the ironic twist; Mount Kinabalu has its own weather pattern. The mountain is so high, high enough to pull in its own weather and clouds. According to most locals, there is just no way of predicting the weather at the summit of mount Kinabalu.
Before the climb, we were given a large packed lunch with simple sandwiches, an apple and strange looking biscuit; it was enough to satisfy a large construction worker who was on a stable diet. I packed the lunch and the 2 litres of water needed, after all, the guides from ‘Asia Ability’ who was present with us knew the perfect nutrients for the climb.
The morning was yet clear, so I made my own prediction; perfect weather all the way up. The first day of the climb was a 6.5 km climb to our rest house ‘Laban Rata’. The trail leading towards the rest house was more then perfect as it was not as challenging then the trails found in Brunei. The trail was an easy, long slope all the way upwards. Though that was at least what I thought.
After the 1.5 km mark, it wasn’t long until the group was not all together. We had no choice but to break up into smaller groups. The groups were a leading group consisting 4 people, and the rest of them in a second group. I was fortunate to find myself leading second form the leading group with my fellow close classmates Shotaro and Dinesh together with the ‘Asia Ability’ guide.

His name was Richards and a pleasant simple man who loves to fret about anything that could be ever to be worried about. More or less, he was sensitive, especially to the healths of us three. Dinesh and Shotaro became my companions for the rest of the climb as we no doubt were at the same level of strength and stamina. Shotaro off course was twice more but he is after all a well trained athlete.



The trail began to take change as the air became much cooler fast in a short period of time and as clouds of white was beneath out feet. The clouds looked like thick mist that continuously changed shapes and the cool temperature felt… well, cold. Either way, the excitement built up as we took twice more stops then Richard suspected just to take photographs and enjoy the scenery of the climb so far. After all, we could be much ahead of the second group so why not use most of our time for ourselves to enjoy.

Reaching the 5.5 km mark was the fist of what would be many needed long stops to catch air and energy to build up before stopping again 10 minutes later. It wasn’t the matter of feeling sick (or I hope it wasn’t) or tired, but simple exhaustion. The three of us was new to the feeling and took time to recognise its effects and not long later, the secret was to keep ourselves as hydrated as possible, even when not thirsty. Richard did help a lot during this time with most of his tips and advices. And with it, by the time it was near 3.30, we made it to our rest stop of the day and night.

The three of us then stood under the hostel’s spiral steps, having simple conversation and thoughts whilst admiring what was one of the most beautiful sites I ever witness in my life; Laban Rata’s view of the following valleys and landmass of Malaysia. Even at this height, we were much above or as levelled as the clouds and houses at sea level were hard to distinguish. It felt like a plane flew very slowly in mid-air as the movement of the clouds illustrate the movement of the plane. Click HERE for PANORAMA view from Laban Rata!


Not bothered by our exhaustion, we agreed to spend every minute of our time awake until nightfall of which we are needed to sleep early for the morning climb at three in the morning tomorrow. Waiting as the others finish their climb, it was not until more then two hours later where the rest of the group came one-by-one joining us. The first thing at their arrival, we took group photographs just in-case some people were to tired to do anything but sleep.

Nightfall came fast as one minute we were sitting outside together and the next in rock solid beds ready to sleep, or as so what everyone thought. Out of the whole entire trip, I would think that night was the hardest challenge face yet as falling asleep when I was wide awake and had the energy to climb up and down the first lag again. We had 8 hours of sleep, and I woke up every hour in desperate measures to fall asleep. Never in my life would I think sleeping would be a challenge since I was after all built for it.
In the end, I had no choice but to wake and stay up an hour earlier then anyone else. Time then became like a tape as I found myself again fast forward outside the hostel and prepared for the morning climb. Its now three in the morning and all that was visible was the thick mist reflected from the shined by out head torches. We were literally surrounded by no means of lights except the lights of each of us.

As we climb, all that were visible was the light trail of headlights and torches carried by other climbers along the path towards the summit and the stars above us. Which brings me to my next insight; I am an artist who is strongly moved inspired by space. Astronomy and star-gazing happened to be my hobbies and there is no doubt anyone who shares my views are not going to pass the opportunity of what was behold.
The sky was lit with the most stars I have ever seen in my life. The clouds were extremely low due to the weather and pressure leaving the space between where I stood clear to the limitless of space. That thought really dwelled strongly inside me that I was close to be emotional with its beauty. I was not literally facing the Milky Way which was also too visible, something never seen in Brunei nor anywhere else have I ever been. But not many do know what they were staring at but the spiral arm of our galaxy we live in. A section of what large object we live in like plankton living in a Sea-World aquarium.
But that discussion should be inserted in my Art portfolio of which I had to leave my rest and move on towards the summit. Reaching the 8.0 km mark was the change of the whole climb. Not only is the morning climb much steeper with its granite ground and slippery rocks, but with the exhaustion kicked in again and the number of rest needed to take the journey on, it was much obvious that I had suffered what I was hoping not to get infected; altitude sickness. How did I inherit it? I didn’t know. So I had no choice but to manage the rest of the climb with it. Not only I was sick, but I was also alone. The group didn’t matter anymore as everyone needed to take care of their own health, thus I didn’t bother burden anyone with it.
Reaching the summit was the hardest upon hardest physical challenge I faced as it was part steep and I was exhausted didn’t bother climbing any further. But with 3 of my friends who were up there fist were as exhausted but up there. The motivation kicked in as I gave them a nice surprise reaching the top. There I stood, upon the heights of all landmass in South East Asia. The panoramic view against the early dawn was so spectacular that words cannot describe its beauty. I was given the opportunity to witness Mother Nature at her best creating such magnificent world.

But the question is; how do I get back down?
The ‘Fast-forward’ button was yet pressed as I remember whizzing down the mountain holding onto ropes and railings for dear life as going up isn’t so as easy as going down. You see, a lot of things was much better seen at the dark then in daylight....
But after hours of rest at ‘Laban Rata’ to wait for others, I find myself again outside, packed and ready to take the journey down. By then I was fully recovered as I relaxed the whole journey down and reached to a halt at its entrance 5 hours before any of the group belonging in the second.
We waited yet again, but discussed upon the achievement of that day’s event. Some rested in uncomfortable positions.... I was most pleased with myself I achieve such an act and believe that all effort I put into the day was more then I anticipated. I also achieve an emotional bond with nature as I begin to recognise the pain of many others. In the end, I do wish there would be another trip to KK.

